Strawberry pie, with layers of juicy strawberries surrounded by sweet glaze on a crispy crust must be the quintessential summer dessert. I remember bringing home a strawberry pie from Shoney's restaurant when I was a kid and thinking it was the best thing ever.
This pie is both delicious and simple. I love using homemade glaze made with common ingredients. No artificial dyes or flavorings that you would find in packaged store bought glaze. The best part is that making homemade glaze is really pretty easy.
2 lb. fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp. cornstarch
Cooled, baked pie shell
1. Crush about 1/2 lb. strawberries in food processor or by hand, measure to get about 1 cup crushed berries after mashing.
2. Cook the 1 cup mashed berries and 1 cup water at medium high heat for about two minutes.
3. Sieve the cooked berries to get the juice. Discard the berry pulp.
4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 4 tsp. cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in berry juice. Cook stirring constantly till thick and clear.
5. Line pie crust with a layer of sliced strawberries. Drizzle slightly cooled strawberry glaze over berries. Layer on more sliced strawberries and pour remaining glaze over berries.
6. Refrigerate until serving time. Serve with whipped cream.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies