Hello old friend. I can't believe it has been a month since I have written a blog post. It has been a busy month. I finished up another grad class, we went on a 12-day European vacation with extended family (I promise to share pictures!) and as soon as we got back, the kids started school and my husband was back to teaching at the University. I actually had to go out and buy school supplies the day we returned. Our vacation was amazing and it was really great spending so much time with family, but it has been a whirlwind of a month and I am glad to be home and back into a routine again.
I just came up with this recipe Sunday. I had some chicken thighs and I thought wild rice and cranberries sounded really good with chicken. Turns out, it's a delicious combination and the slow cooker works really well with this.
So this is not one of those easy dump everything into your crockpot recipes. You have a few steps to follow, but these steps make it taste amazing and since you are cooking it in the slow cooker, you can do most of the work ahead of time.
I am always on the lookout for interesting dishes for food photography so I was excited to bring back this pasta plate from the Delft factory in Holland. We toured the factory, learned how they make the pottery and a little about the history and popularity of Delft pottery. This plate is part of a new line they have that is supposed to be for everyday use. It was still kind of expensive, but more affordable than traditional Delft pottery. Traditional Delft pottery is much more elaborate with hand painted detail so it is more expensive, but I love that this piece is so simple. My favorite part is the rough edges around the rim of the plate, giving it a rustic, modern look.
Enjoy the recipe!
Slow Cooker Chicken with Wild Rice and Cranberries
Prep time 30 minutes or less
Slow cooker time 5-6 hours
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh ground salt and pepper
1/4 cup cooking sherry
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups wild rice blend (I use a blend with Texmati white, brown, wild, and red rice)
1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries
1. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the butter and olive oil at a medium high heat.
2. Add diced onion and cook stirring for a few minutes to start to caramelize the onions.
3. Add chicken and garlic to the onions to lightly brown the chicken, turning it to brown both sides. Salt and pepper while cooking on both sides.
4. Do not cook the chicken through, just brown it and then remove it to place it in a large slow cooker.
5. Turn the heat off the skillet. Then add cooking sherry to the skillet to deglaze the pan and pour the onion/sherry mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
6. Next pour vegetable broth over the chicken in the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
7. After cooking for 4 to 5 hours, add the rice and cranberries and continue to cook on low for another 45 minutes to an hour until rice is tender and cranberries are soft. You can add more fresh ground salt when adding the rice if you like. Make sure you wait until the end to add the rice and cranberries so they don't overcook and get mushy. They need less than an hour to cook.
Here is what it looks like in the slow cooker when done. It is easy to serve. Just scoop out large spoonfuls of chicken, rice, and cranberries.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts