We really enjoyed this low carb Italian spaghetti squash and sausage bake. It is delicious and hearty and a great way to feel like we are having a big Italian meal without all of the high carb pasta.
We had some volunteer spaghetti squash that grew from the compost pile and we just got our pig from the processor so I came up with this dish to combine both spaghetti squash and ground sausage. Our sausage is regular mild sausage, but I think this would be good with Italian sausage too.
This is a delicious low carb meal the whole family will enjoy. Our boys gobbled it up. You can't go wrong with lots of cheese.
2 spaghetti squash
1 lb. ground sausage (mild or Italian)
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 (24 oz.) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
4 cups shredded cheese (separated), cheddar jack, mozzarella, Italian blend, or even some shredded parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Spritz cut halves with olive oil or brush them with oil. Place cut side down on a baking pan and roast for 45 to 60 minutes until fork tender.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
4. Let squash cool a few minutes until it is cool enough to handle. Use a fork to scoop out the spaghetti squash strands into a large bowl.
5. In a large skillet, brown sausage, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and basil.
6. Combine spaghetti squash, sausage mixture, pasta sauce and 3 cups shredded cheese in a large bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer to an oven safe skillet or large casserole dish. Top with the extra 1 cup shredded cheese.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Pin on Pinterest
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies