There are lots of recipes out there for bourbon chicken, but surprisingly most of them don't even have bourbon in them. Since we are now Kentuckians, I thought it only fitting to make bourbon chicken with real Kentucky bourbon. If you are a food nerd like me you'll find this interesting. Wikipedia defines bourbon chicken as a dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana and for the bourbon whiskey ingredient.
I use chicken thighs when making bourbon chicken to add more juicy flavor (thighs have more fat than breasts and are in my opinion more flavorful), but you can certainly use chicken breasts if you prefer.
Enjoy this fairly simple and incredibly delicious bourbon chicken. Our whole family loves it. In fact, I think it is my boys' favorite meal.
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut up
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 C. bourbon
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 C. warm water with 1 T. honey dissolved in it.
1/3 C. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/3 C. water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1. Heat burner to medium-high heat to heat up the skillet.
2. Drizzle oil in the hot skillet.
3. Add chicken, salt and pepper it then cook until golden brown.
4. Reduce heat. Add bourbon and deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits (for flavor).
5. Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until thoroughly mixed.
6. Add chicken and bring to a low boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
8. Serve over rice or your favorite asian noodles.
Additional note: Garnish with chopped green onions if you like.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies
Most Popular Posts
Crispy Salt & Pepper Beef
Bacon, Mushroom, and Spinach Quiche