This recipe has been on my website for awhile, but I don't think it was in a blog post, so here it is. This is an old favorite and it's nice for when you want to add a little variety to the menu plan.
The combination of oregano, cinnamon, and garlic powder give a wonderful and unique flavor to this recipe. I just put the spinach in without thawing and it works well since it is loose in a bag of frozen spinach and not compact in a box of frozen spinach. Feta cheese can be expensive, but if you shop around, you might find it at an affordable price. I found feta cheese for $1.99 at Aldi compared to over $4.00 at Meijer. I recently purchased feta at Ruler Foods for $0.79.
The boys love this and any leftovers are gone by lunch the next day.
Greek-Style Skillet Supper
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes 6 servings
1 lb. ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 can (14-14 ½ oz.) reduced sodium beef broth
1 can (14 ½ oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 ½ cups uncooked penne pasta
1 ½ cups frozen leaf spinach, thawed
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
1. Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
2. Drain fat.
3. Add oregano, cinnamon and garlic powder, mix well.
4. Stir in broth, tomatoes and tomato paste.
5. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes or until pasta is nearly tender.
6. Stir in spinach and ½ cup of the feta cheese. Cover. Cook 5 minutes longer or until pasta is tender.
7. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup feta cheese. Let stand 5 minutes.
Slightly adapted from a recipe in the Sunday paper advertisements. It is a McCormick recipe.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts