French onion soup is one of my favorite soups of all time with its brothy goodness, caramelized onions, and cheesy crusty bread. I know it's a little early in the season for soups, but we enjoy soup anytime of year and it is officially fall after all. If there is any chance of rain or the weather cools down a few degrees it puts me in the mood for a good bowl of soup.
It takes a little while to caramelize the onions and then to simmer the soup, but it is so worth the wait and your kitchen will smell amazing.
This recipe makes a big pot of soup since we have four hungry boys, but you could halve it for 3-4 people.
Swiss or Gruyère are commonly used to top French onion soup, but Monterey jack is a kid friendly choice too.
French Onion Soup
3 lbs. onions, sliced (about 6)
4 T. butter
2 cloves, garlic minced
Fresh ground salt and pepper
¼ tsp. ground thyme
3 T. flour
1 C. red wine
2 (32 oz.) cartons beef broth
Shredded Swiss, Gruyère, or Monterey jack (kid friendly) cheese
1. Heat stock pot or Dutch oven to medium heat. Drizzle a large swirl of olive oil in pot. Add butter. Let warm then add sliced onions, minced garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
2. Cover and cook the onions until nice and caramelized, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or so.
3. Add flour and toss to coat.
4. Add wine, stirring to deglaze pot and cook for about 5 minutes to reduce wine.
5. Add beef broth and continue to simmer covered for 25-30 minutes.
6. Slice baguette. Butter slices on one side and bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes to lightly toast.
7. Ladle soup into oven safe bowls, top with bread, shredded cheese and broil until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Serves 6-8. You can easily halve this recipe to serve 3-4.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies
Most Popular Posts