This is kind of a flashback post...redoing the photos, so you may have seen these brownies on the blog before. This is the first recipe I ever made with coconut oil back when using coconut oil was new to me and I wasn't quite sure when to use it. I now use coconut oil in place of vegetable oil in most recipes and find that it substitutes easily without compromising flavor or texture.
These brownies are my favorite. I love the hint of coconut flavor. It is subtle, yet noticeable. They are so easy to prepare and way better than a brownie mix. Delicious on their own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. These would make a lovely treat for Valentine's Day!
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate or peanut butter chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
3. In a medium bowl combine melted coconut oil and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved. (I melt the coconut oil in the microwave for about 25 seconds.)
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Add eggs and stir until well combined.
6. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you no longer see any flour (do not overmix).
7. Fold in chips.
8. Spread in pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes.
9. DO NOT OVER-BAKE — You do not want your brownies to come out dry. Adjust time/temp accordingly for your oven. If you do the knife/toothpick test, it should come out with moist crumbs, not clean.
10. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
This recipe is slightly adapted from coconutoilcooking.com.
I often double this recipe and bake it in a 9 X 13 pan. I haven't tried it yet, but you could try using coconut sugar in place of the granulated sugar.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies
Most Popular Posts