Chicken Pot Pie
I love chicken pot pie. It is one of my favorite comfort foods. I adapted this recipe from one a friend gave me years ago when she brought us a chicken pot pie after we had our second child. (Thank you Malorie. It was wonderful.) This recipe is great for when you want to take a meal to someone because it is easily portable.
This pie crust recipe is my new favorite. The first couple of times I made it, I made it by hand using a pastry blender which worked fine, but it is so much easier to make in a food processor.
The picture above was taken right after it came out of the oven. If you let it sit and rest for a few minutes it will set up more. Also, I cut the chicken a little large in the pictured pie. I prefer it cut smaller and more uniform.
This really is a perfect Pie Crust
All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies
Make the first recipe in the post.
Ingredients for filling:
1/3 cup butter (5 1/3 Tbsp.)
1/3 cup diced onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 cup frozen mixed vegetables or peas and carrots
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Saute chicken in small amount of olive oil or butter until cooked through. Set aside.
3. Saute onion in butter about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.
5. Stir in milk and broth. Cook and stir until bubbly and thick.
6. Stir in chicken and vegetables.
7. Spoon filling into crust lined pie pan.
8. Cut slits in top crust. I find this easier to do when the crust is rolled out on the counter. (You can use small cookie cutters like I did or just cut it with a butter knife.) Top pie with second crust.
9. Seal and crimp edges of pie crust.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes. During last 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edges with strips of foil to prevent burning.
11. Let pie rest for at least 5 minutes after removing from the oven before serving. It will be too hot to eat right away and will thicken up more as it rests.
1/20/2014 03:52:23 am
Oh, that looks delicious.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned food blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
Quick Recipe Links
Slow Cooker Recipes
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies