Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
We love this baked cauliflower "mac" and cheese! It is such a treat and lower in carbs than traditional mac and cheese made with macaroni pasta. One cup of raw cauliflower contains only 5 grams of carbs and 3 of those grams are fiber.
Plus cauliflower is rich in vitamins and minerals. It is a very good source of vitamin C which boosts the immune system and it contains some of almost every vitamin and mineral that you need.
I think what makes this cauliflower "mac" and cheese so good is all the wonderful flavors that come together...butter, sweet onion, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and sharp cheddar. The cream cheese and heavy cream give it just the right amount of richness. It is delicious, filling, and with all those nutrients packed inside you know you are serving something good.
This low carb baked cauliflower "mac" and cheese is the healthy and delicious comfort food you need.
It will be perfectly done after about 15 minutes in the oven, but to get that nice golden brown top, place the casserole on the top rack of the oven, set the temperature to broil, crack the oven door open and broil for a minute or two until you see a golden brown crisp on top. Be careful not to burn.
Low Carb Baked Cauliflower "Mac" & Cheese
1 large or 2 small heads of cauliflower
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup finely diced sweet onion
2 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
8 oz. (2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Fresh ground salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Cut cauliflower into small 1/2 inch pieces. You want it to be small like macaroni noodles. Boil cauliflower until fork tender about 5-6 minutes. Drain in a colander and leave cauliflower in the colander to drain off more moisture while preparing the cheese sauce.
2. In a skillet sauté onion in the butter over medium heat until transparent.
3. Add cream cheese, dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, heavy whipping cream and stir to combine. The cream cheese will melt into the other ingredients.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
5. Spray a large casserole dish or a 9 X 13 pan with olive oil (amazon link) or cooking spray.
6. Combine the cheese sauce and cauliflower and spoon into your casserole dish. Salt & pepper the top to taste with fresh ground salt & pepper.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes until heated through and bubbly.
8. To toast the top, place under the broiler on the broil setting for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
Pin on Pinterest
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned food blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies