½ cup sugar
¼ cup honey
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk*
2 cups sifted flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners
3. Cream together butter, sugar, and honey. Beat in egg, buttermilk, vanilla & mashed bananas.
4. Sift flour then measure 2 cups.
5. Stir baking powder and salt into flour, mixing well. Stir in oats. Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture.
6. Fold the chocolate chips into batter.
7. Scoop batter into a prepared muffin pan. Fill muffins pretty full. The batter is thick and should fill 12 cups nicely without running over.
8. If you like sprinkle turbinado or sanding sugar on the tops of the muffins before baking.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins
*If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, simply pour ½ T. lemon juice or vinegar into your measuring cup then fill with milk to get ½ cup liquid. Let this sit for a minute before pouring it into the mixing bowl. I freeze leftover buttermilk and thaw it in the fridge when I need it for a recipe.