Today I scrubbed the kitchen floor so I moved the kitchen chairs and the high chair into the living room. As I was working, I looked up and saw that my 2 year old had climbed into the high chair (in the living room) and was just hanging out. I couldn't help but laugh, so he started laughing too.
This recipe is slightly adapted from one of my favorite food bloggers, The Pioneer Woman. She does a beautiful job of explaining recipes through pictures. And she's so darn funny too.
▪ 2 pounds Ground Chuck
▪ 3 cloves Garlic, Minced (optional)
▪ 1 can (12 To 15 Ounce) Tomato Sauce
▪ 1 can (10 Ounce) Ro-tel (diced Tomatoes And Chilies), I used mild.
▪ 1/2 teaspoon Salt
▪ 1 teaspoon Ground Oregano
▪ 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
▪ 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
▪ 1 can (14-15.5 ounce) Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
▪ 1 can (14-15.5 ounce) Pinto Beans, Drained And Rinsed
▪ 1/4 cup Masa (corn Flour) Or Regular Corn Meal
▪ 1/2 cup Warm Water
▪ Fritos corn chips
▪ Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
▪ Diced Red Onion (Optional)
Brown ground chuck with garlic in a pot over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Mix masa with water, then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for a final 10 to 15 minutes.
First layer chips, then chili, then cheese in individual bowls to serve. Top with diced onion if using. Serve immediately. Delicious!
Here are the Meijer deals for this week.
This may be a regional deal, but my Meijer store has clearance toys on sale for an additional 25% off the clearance price.
Buy one Sara Lee cream pie, get one Sara Lee fruit pie free. The cream pies are priced at $5.99 and the fruit pies are on sale for $3.99. You end up with two pies for $5.99 or less if you have a coupon or two. There was a Sara Lee coupon in the Smart Source or Red Plum inserts at some point because I had one for $1.00 off.
Chex Mix on sale for $0.99
Lipton Soup Mix on sale for $0.99. I like to use the Beefy Onion variety in Beef in Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce.
Meijer brand zipper seal sandwich bags $0.99
Cool Whip $0.99
Nestle Pure Life flavored water 6 pk./16.9 oz. on sale for $0.99
Ice Mountain bottled water 6 pk./.5 liter on sale for $0.99
Peaches 1.18 lb. (very good peaches)
Go Go Squeeze Applesauce on the Go 4 pk. $1.99
Mott's or Mott's for Tots Apple Juice $2.29 (64 oz. bottle)
$0.55/1 Mott’s for Tots Juice printable
$0.55/1 Mott’s for Tots Juice printable
John Morrell sliced bacon 12 oz. pkg. regular or applewood (this is my favorite brand of bacon - delicious) $2.79
Lance Cracker Creations $2.50. There is a $1.00 coupon from the paper a few weeks ago that expires 10/30/11.
Marzetti Simply Dressed Salad Dressing on sale for $3.00. There is a Smart Source coupon for $1.00 off that expires 11/30/11.
Organic baby cut carrots 1 lb. bag $0.99
Homegrown round white potatoes 5 lb. bag $0.99
Red, yellow, or orange sweet bell peppers $0.99 each.
Meijer grade A large eggs (1 dozen) $0.99
Bob Evans Fresh Pork Sausage Roll, Links or patties (8-16 oz.) $2.79
$0.35/1 Bob Evans Sausage printable
$1/2 Bob Evans Sausage Rolls printable
Meijer String cheese 12 oz. pkg. $3.00
Tyson bagged chicken 25.5-29 oz. (nuggets, tenders, etc) $3.50
Thanks Koupon Karen for the Bob Evans coupon links.
I posted this recipe almost a year ago on my website, but did not put the recipe on the blog. So hear it is for any new readers. This is one of my favorites. I love being able to put this in the crock pot in the morning and have an easy meal preparation at dinner time.
One 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
1 1/2 tsp. House Seasoning*
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 bay leaves
3 or 4 beef bouillon cubes, crushed (I have used beef base instead)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (you can use 1 tsp. jarred crushed garlic instead of 2 fresh cloves to save time)
One 10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 to 1/2 cup Chardonnay wine (I have used Merlot when I have had it on hand)
1. Sprinkle roast on all sides with House Seasoning; season well. In moderately hot skillet, brown roast on all sides in oil.
2. Place roast in crock pot. On top of roast, layer onion, bay leaves, crushed beef bouillon cubes, crushed garlic, and cream of mushroom soup. Add Chardonnay. Cover with just enough water to cover all the ingredients sufficiently. Cook on low setting approximately 8 hours.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Stir the ingredients together and store in shaker or other container.
If you make other Paula Deen recipes, you will use this seasoning in many of her recipes. If not, you can reduce the amounts of your seasonings so that you will make a smaller amount. Here are the amounts you will need to make a 1/4 recipe of House Seasoning.
Smaller recipe for House Seasoning:
1/4 cup salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
Pot Roast and House Seasoning Recipes are from Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Son's Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady and Son's, Too!
This is one of my favorite cookbooks that I often go to when I want a good home cooked meal.
Several potatoes depending on how many people you are serving (I use 6 to 8 potatoes.)
Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold are my favorites to mash.
Half and Half or part cream & part milk (If all you have is milk, use straight milk)
1. Peel and chop potatoes into large chunks.
2. Put in a large covered pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender.
3. When potatoes are tender, drain and mash them with a potato masher. If you don’t have a potato masher, you can use a mixer.
4. Add half and half or cream and milk or just milk to thin the potatoes. Stir in butter for flavor 3 to 4 Tablespoons should be good. Stir in salt for flavor. Continue to stir and mash until you get the consistency that you want. You can always thin with more half and half. Taste to make sure you get the flavor you want.
Gravy from Beef Broth:
1/4 cup water
4 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cup broth (leftover from pot roast)
1. Mix 1/4 cup water with 4 Tbsp. flour.
2. Pour 1 1/2 cup broth into skillet.
3. Add water-flour mixture.
4. Cook and stir on medium heat until thickened.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
Get a free thank you, birthday or congratulations card from CardsDirect.
To request yours, "Like" Cardsdirect.com on Facebook. Then, click the "Choose now" button on the Free Card tab. Then fill out a short form and select which card you'd like to receive.
* Request your free greeting card from CardsDirect now while supplies last!
This is today's All You freebie.
There is a Baby Grand sale at Zulily until 9/29/11. These costumes and outfits are so cute and reasonable. This strawberry costume is only $12.99.
Disclosure: The above link is my referral link.
Login to your Facebook account through the Ruby Tuesday page here and you’ll be able to print a Buy One, Get One Free Entree coupon.
Thanks Money Saving Mom
Koupon Karen has listed the CVS deals for this week. Many with printable coupons. There are some good baby deals.
This giveaway is about to end. You have until midnight Central time Sunday 9/25/11 to enter. This is for a full size bag of Rockin Green Laundry Detergent. Do not leave entry comments on this post. Go to Rockin Green Giveaway to enter.
He was so excited to have his birthday cake. He blew out his candles like such a big boy.
My little baby is growing up so fast.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.