Here are the Meijer deals for this week.
This may be a regional deal, but my Meijer store has clearance toys on sale for an additional 25% off the clearance price.
Buy one Sara Lee cream pie, get one Sara Lee fruit pie free. The cream pies are priced at $5.99 and the fruit pies are on sale for $3.99. You end up with two pies for $5.99 or less if you have a coupon or two. There was a Sara Lee coupon in the Smart Source or Red Plum inserts at some point because I had one for $1.00 off.
Chex Mix on sale for $0.99
Lipton Soup Mix on sale for $0.99. I like to use the Beefy Onion variety in Beef in Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce.
Meijer brand zipper seal sandwich bags $0.99
Cool Whip $0.99
Nestle Pure Life flavored water 6 pk./16.9 oz. on sale for $0.99
Ice Mountain bottled water 6 pk./.5 liter on sale for $0.99
Peaches 1.18 lb. (very good peaches)
Go Go Squeeze Applesauce on the Go 4 pk. $1.99
Mott's or Mott's for Tots Apple Juice $2.29 (64 oz. bottle)
$0.55/1 Mott’s for Tots Juice printable
$0.55/1 Mott’s for Tots Juice printable
John Morrell sliced bacon 12 oz. pkg. regular or applewood (this is my favorite brand of bacon - delicious) $2.79
Lance Cracker Creations $2.50. There is a $1.00 coupon from the paper a few weeks ago that expires 10/30/11.
Marzetti Simply Dressed Salad Dressing on sale for $3.00. There is a Smart Source coupon for $1.00 off that expires 11/30/11.
Organic baby cut carrots 1 lb. bag $0.99
Homegrown round white potatoes 5 lb. bag $0.99
Red, yellow, or orange sweet bell peppers $0.99 each.
Meijer grade A large eggs (1 dozen) $0.99
Bob Evans Fresh Pork Sausage Roll, Links or patties (8-16 oz.) $2.79
$0.35/1 Bob Evans Sausage printable
$1/2 Bob Evans Sausage Rolls printable
Meijer String cheese 12 oz. pkg. $3.00
Tyson bagged chicken 25.5-29 oz. (nuggets, tenders, etc) $3.50
Thanks Koupon Karen for the Bob Evans coupon links.
I posted this recipe almost a year ago on my website, but did not put the recipe on the blog. So hear it is for any new readers. This is one of my favorites. I love being able to put this in the crock pot in the morning and have an easy meal preparation at dinner time.
One 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
1 1/2 tsp. House Seasoning*
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 bay leaves
3 or 4 beef bouillon cubes, crushed (I have used beef base instead)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (you can use 1 tsp. jarred crushed garlic instead of 2 fresh cloves to save time)
One 10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 to 1/2 cup Chardonnay wine (I have used Merlot when I have had it on hand)
1. Sprinkle roast on all sides with House Seasoning; season well. In moderately hot skillet, brown roast on all sides in oil.
2. Place roast in crock pot. On top of roast, layer onion, bay leaves, crushed beef bouillon cubes, crushed garlic, and cream of mushroom soup. Add Chardonnay. Cover with just enough water to cover all the ingredients sufficiently. Cook on low setting approximately 8 hours.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Stir the ingredients together and store in shaker or other container.
If you make other Paula Deen recipes, you will use this seasoning in many of her recipes. If not, you can reduce the amounts of your seasonings so that you will make a smaller amount. Here are the amounts you will need to make a 1/4 recipe of House Seasoning.
Smaller recipe for House Seasoning:
1/4 cup salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
Pot Roast and House Seasoning Recipes are from Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Son's Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady and Son's, Too!
This is one of my favorite cookbooks that I often go to when I want a good home cooked meal.
Several potatoes depending on how many people you are serving (I use 6 to 8 potatoes.)
Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold are my favorites to mash.
Half and Half or part cream & part milk (If all you have is milk, use straight milk)
1. Peel and chop potatoes into large chunks.
2. Put in a large covered pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender.
3. When potatoes are tender, drain and mash them with a potato masher. If you don’t have a potato masher, you can use a mixer.
4. Add half and half or cream and milk or just milk to thin the potatoes. Stir in butter for flavor 3 to 4 Tablespoons should be good. Stir in salt for flavor. Continue to stir and mash until you get the consistency that you want. You can always thin with more half and half. Taste to make sure you get the flavor you want.
Gravy from Beef Broth:
1/4 cup water
4 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cup broth (leftover from pot roast)
1. Mix 1/4 cup water with 4 Tbsp. flour.
2. Pour 1 1/2 cup broth into skillet.
3. Add water-flour mixture.
4. Cook and stir on medium heat until thickened.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
Get a free thank you, birthday or congratulations card from CardsDirect.
To request yours, "Like" Cardsdirect.com on Facebook. Then, click the "Choose now" button on the Free Card tab. Then fill out a short form and select which card you'd like to receive.
* Request your free greeting card from CardsDirect now while supplies last!
This is today's All You freebie.
There is a Baby Grand sale at Zulily until 9/29/11. These costumes and outfits are so cute and reasonable. This strawberry costume is only $12.99.
Disclosure: The above link is my referral link.
Login to your Facebook account through the Ruby Tuesday page here and you’ll be able to print a Buy One, Get One Free Entree coupon.
Thanks Money Saving Mom
Koupon Karen has listed the CVS deals for this week. Many with printable coupons. There are some good baby deals.
This giveaway is about to end. You have until midnight Central time Sunday 9/25/11 to enter. This is for a full size bag of Rockin Green Laundry Detergent. Do not leave entry comments on this post. Go to Rockin Green Giveaway to enter.
He was so excited to have his birthday cake. He blew out his candles like such a big boy.
My little baby is growing up so fast.
I wanted to make my son a special cake for his second birthday with a farm theme since he loves to sing E-I-E-I-O. I had very little time to decorate a cake with 3 young children. I used some farm toys we already had and was able to do this in about 30 minutes. The hay bales are Kraft German Chocolate Cake marshmallows. The cake was delicious and my son loved it. I adapted the recipe from momswhothink.com. The original recipe was for a three layer round cake so I changed the cooking time to accomidate a 13 X 9 baking pan. I also made the icing differently than the original recipe. This icing is really good! Thanks to my sister-in-law Stephanie for taking pictures!
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 X 9 cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the boiling water into the cocoa until smooth, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
4. At medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Turn mixer down to low speed. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Stir in the vanilla, and do not over-beat.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan.
9. Bake for aproximately 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
10 Cool in pan, set on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Invert pan on rack, remove pan, and allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
1 6-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
Chocolate Frosting Directions:
1. Combine the chocolate chips, half-and-half and butter in a heavy saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips melt. Remove from heat.
3. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, stirring well.
4. Put icing in mixing bowl and refrigerate until cold. Then mix with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
I just bought some great deals from the Overstock section at Land's End. I saw the coupon code at Common Sense with Money and saved an extra 25% off the clearance price and got free shipping. Use the link below and shop the Overstock section for great deals. When you check out, put in the coupon code and pin number below for the discount. There are lots of overstocks for men, women, kids, and home.
Right now you can get this Lands’ End Women’s Faux Shearling Coat for $29.97. Just use coupon code “DISCOVER” and pin number “6956” to get 25% off and free shipping. Go through shopathome to get 4% cashback.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts