My favorite things about this recipe are that my husband and boys LOVE it (they heartily devour it) and it's easy to prepare several hours before dinner. We have busy activity filled weeknights so I treasure recipes that make my life easier.
1 lb. ground beef or venison
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 to 3 carrots, shredded
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
About 1/2 of a 9 oz. package no-cook lasagna noodles
4 cups (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
Almost 2 cups (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned, drain.
2. Add the shredded carrots, tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, and oregano to the browned meat. Mix well.
3. Spread about 1/4 of the meat sauce in an ungreased large slow cooker.
4. Arrange about 1/3 of the noodles over the sauce, breaking them to make them fit.
5. Mix the mozzarella, ricotta cheese, and parmesan. Spoon about 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
6. Repeat these layers twice more.
7. End with a layer of meat sauce on top. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until noodles are tender.