Here are some tips to help you improve your morning routine and hopefully your entire day.
1. Evaluate which tasks eat up your morning time and could be done the night before to help your morning run more smoothly. I like to take a relaxing bath every other day, but this really cut into my morning time and I found myself rushing out the door. I started giving myself half an hour at night to relax in the tub and I love it. No rushing in the morning, kids are in bed and I have much needed alone time.
2. Clean the kitchen every night. I have been doing this for years so it is a habit for me. I love coming down to a clean kitchen every morning. It is easy to start breakfast and the kids can sit right down at the table.
3. Rotate the laundry and fold a load each night. I have to do about 2 loads a day to keep up with our laundry so I make sure to fold a load each night and then I put it away the next day. It is easy to watch a favorite show after the kids have gone to bed and fold a load of laundry. Actually, it's kind of relaxing and I get to catch up on Downtown Abbey, Call the Midwife, or another Masterpiece favorite.
4. Get ideas for lunches and breakfast the night before. Every night during the school year I make sure icepacks go in the freezer at night then I pack non-perishable foods in my son's lunchbox. Anything that I can make ahead and pre-package I put in the fridge the night before. Then all I have to do in the morning is add an ice pack and fresh food (sandwich, fruit, etc.) Our breakfast are pretty simple, usually cereal, fruit, cheese, toast, etc., but I try to get an idea the night before and if we are low on our usual supplies I'll make a loaf of bread, some muffins or boil some eggs so that I am prepared for the morning.
5. Give yourself a bedtime. This is totally new to me. I have been a night owl for as long as I can remember. I always thought I could handle staying up late, but it does interfere with productivity and general mood the next day. After completing Make Over Your Mornings, I decided to try going to bed earlier and see if it really made a difference. I think it makes a huge difference for me and so I plan to continue giving myself a bedtime. I notice my energy levels are higher and I feel like a better, more patient Mom when I get a good night's rest.
I took Crystal Paine's (Money Saving Mom) Make Over Your Mornings online course and I loved it. If you are ready to experience more productivity and enjoyment in your life, I highly recommend Make Over Your Mornings.
And while you're there, read my testimonial on the Make Over Your Mornings site.