I created this recipe on my own, but it was inspired by our favorite butter bean soup from Taylor's Chili Parlor in Carlinville, IL. I make it less spicy than Taylor's, but still very good. It is more kid friendly with a little less kick. If you want it spicier, just up the seasonings mainly chili powder and pepper.
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 large sweet onion, diced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. creole or cajun seasoning
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. corriander
1 T. chili powder
3 tsp. chicken or vegetable base or bouillon powder
6 cups water
1 stick real butter
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1. Soak the beans for 1/2 hour.
2. Rinse and drain the beans before placing them in the crock pot.
3. Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, creole seasoning, cumin, corriander, and bouillon into the crock pot along with 6 cups water or broth.
4. Cover crock, and cook on low for around 8 hours, or until beans are tender and creamy.
5. During last hour, add 1 stick butter and tomato sauce.
Linking up at Create with Joy.