I decided to update this old family favorite that has been on the blog for a couple of years since it is so incredibly delicious and the recipe really needed a makeover. Not like a healthier recipe makeover, more like a new pictures and a few tweaks makeover. Although, I do add shredded carrots to the meat sauce to add a natural sweetness and vegetables to the lasagna, which is healthier. I shred the carrots in the food processor. Such an easy way to add healthy vegetables.
My favorite things about this recipe are that my husband and boys LOVE it (they heartily devour it) and it's easy to prepare several hours before dinner. We have busy activity filled weeknights so I treasure recipes that make my life easier.
While this is an easy recipe and using the slow cooker simplifies things, it is important to note that it only takes 4 to 5 hours on low to cook until the noodles are tender. If you work outside of the home all day, this might not be a weeknight meal for you, but you can always enjoy it on the weekend! If however, you work from home or stay home raising little bundles of joy, you will love this recipe. It will save you from the evening rush when your bigger bundles of joy get home from school and need your attention and your minivan to cart them all over town to their wonderfully enriching, but time consuming activities.
Or you could just make this lasagna because it's delicious. That's reason enough, busy life or not. While you're at it, try some easy homemade breadsticks and if you don't have a bread machine, use this recipe to make easy homemade breadsticks without a bread machine. They are amazing. My boys think they are better than pizza restaurant breadsticks.
1 lb. ground beef or venison
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 to 3 carrots, shredded
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
About 1/2 of a 9 oz. package no-cook lasagna noodles
4 cups (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
Almost 2 cups (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned, drain.
2. Add the shredded carrots, tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, and oregano to the browned meat. Mix well.
3. Spread about 1/4 of the meat sauce in an ungreased large slow cooker.
4. Arrange about 1/3 of the noodles over the sauce, breaking them to make them fit.
5. Mix the mozzarella, ricotta cheese, and parmesan. Spoon about 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
6. Repeat these layers twice more.
7. End with a layer of meat sauce on top. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until noodles are tender.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts