I made these cookies to give my kids a healthy portable snack because they are always hungry and we need snacks on the go. I am also trying to reduce the quantity of store bought processed snacks in our home. I took my Everything Cookies recipe and changed it up a bit to make it more nutrient dense. The boys love these cookies. My four year old was very concerned that we only had one cookie left yesterday, so I am making another batch tonight.
I do use peanut butter and chopped toasted nuts in this recipe but if you need to make it nut free, simply omit the chopped nuts and substitute 1/2 cup sun butter or 1/2 cup real butter (1 stick) for the peanut butter.
1 ¼ cups flour*
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. ground flax seed (optional for the nutritional benefits)
1/4 cup (½ stick) real butter softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
¾ cup coconut palm sugar or packed brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
½ cup raisins
½ cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
1. Toast nuts on a small un-greased pan in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
2. Turn oven temperature up to 375 degrees.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and optional ground flax in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Beat banana, peanut butter, butter, coconut sugar, honey and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture and milk. Stir in chocolate chips, oats, raisins, nuts and coconut.
5. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. (I line my cookie sheets with parchment paper.)
6. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are crisp but centers are still soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen.
*I use a mix of all purpose flour and oat flour.
Linking up at The Mommy Club
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts
Giveaway: Enter to win a Wondercide Natural Products Pet Parent Try Everything Sample Pack!