I wanted to make my son a special cake for his second birthday with a farm theme since he loves to sing E-I-E-I-O. I had very little time to decorate a cake with 3 young children. I used some farm toys we already had and was able to do this in about 30 minutes. The hay bales are Kraft German Chocolate Cake marshmallows. The cake was delicious and my son loved it. I adapted the recipe from momswhothink.com. The original recipe was for a three layer round cake so I changed the cooking time to accomidate a 13 X 9 baking pan. I also made the icing differently than the original recipe. This icing is really good! Thanks to my sister-in-law Stephanie for taking pictures!
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 X 9 cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the boiling water into the cocoa until smooth, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
4. At medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Turn mixer down to low speed. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Stir in the vanilla, and do not over-beat.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan.
9. Bake for aproximately 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
10 Cool in pan, set on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Invert pan on rack, remove pan, and allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
1 6-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
Chocolate Frosting Directions:
1. Combine the chocolate chips, half-and-half and butter in a heavy saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips melt. Remove from heat.
3. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, stirring well.
4. Put icing in mixing bowl and refrigerate until cold. Then mix with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts
Giveaway: Enter to win a Wondercide Natural Products Pet Parent Try Everything Sample Pack!