It is amazing how roasting onions completely changes them. I cut the ends off the onions with great difficulty as tears rolled down my face. I could barely see what I was doing as I was reminded why I never buy yellow onions and stick with milder sweet onions for everyday cooking. Yet when these came out of the oven all I could smell was heavenly warm deliciousness.
And delicious they were. My seven year old who picked all of the onions off of his pizza a few days ago asked for seconds. Yeah! Healthy superfood onions and the boys like them!
1 bag small to medium yellow onions
1/4 C. olive oil
2 T. butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly ground sea salt
1. Slice ends off the onions leaving the outer skins on. Arrange onions in a sided pan.
2. Drizzle olive oil over the onions. Put a small pat of butter on top of each onion.
3. Salt and pepper generously. Bake at 375 F. for 25 minutes.
4. Increase temperature to 400 F. and bake for another 20-30 minutes until tender.
5. Let cool a few minutes before serving. They hold heat and will still be warm well into your meal. Remove the outer skins before consuming.
Slightly adapted from Joy the Baker.
Linking up at Do Tell Tuesday, Create with Joy, Lou Lou Girls
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned food blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies