Clam chowder is one of our favorite soups of all time and this one does not disappoint. Rich creamy chowder with hearty potatoes and clams...it's more than just dinner, it's a culinary experience for the senses.
This is actually pretty easy to throw together and doesn't take very long to make. The only prep-work is dicing an onion and a few potatoes (no need to peel them). Plus, canned clams are pretty easy to find in your local grocery and are affordable. I usually keep some in the cabinet just for making clam chowder since it is one of our favorites.
I often use vegetable broth in soups, but I like to use seafood stock when making clam chowder. Vegetable broth is fine, but I think the flavor is amazing when made with seafood stock.
Homemade clam chowder is so much tastier than canned soup and not that much work. Add this to your soup rotation for a delicious, hearty meal on cozy winter nights.
2 T. butter
1 onion, diced
4 T. flour
2 1/2 C. seafood, chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 C. cooking sherry
2 (10 oz.) cans baby or chopped clams in juice
1 C. heavy or whipping cream
2 bay leaves
1 lb. russet potatoes, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring frequently.
2. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and mix in.
3. Add the stock, sherry, juice from both cans of clams (reserve the clams), cream, bay leaves, and potatoes and stir to combine.
4. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently while the soup thickens.
5. Reduce the heat to a medium-low and cook, stirring frequently until the potatoes are tender. (About 20 minutes.)
6. Add clams and cook for about two minutes until the clams are firm. Salt and pepper to taste.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies
Most Popular Posts