I have been making my favorite chocolate cake recipe as cupcakes. Cupcakes are so easy to make and they are simply fun. I served cupcakes at both birthday parties we have given the boys this summer and they were very well received, but hey--- who doesn't like cupcakes? Here is my favorite chocolate cake recipe, baked as cupcakes.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put cupcake liners in cupcake pans. This recipe will make more than your average 24 cupcake recipe. Expect 30+ cupcakes. For even heating, bake them in two or three batches so that there is only one pan in the oven at a time. Place the pan in the center of the oven.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the boiling water into the cocoa until smooth, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
4. At medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Turn mixer down to low speed. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
7. Stir in the vanilla, and do not over-beat.
8. Spoon the batter into the cupcake pan. I fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full. This recipe makes nice flat topped cupcakes that are easy to frost.
9. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
10. Remove from pan. Cool on cooling rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
1 6-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks)
2-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
Chocolate Frosting Directions:
1. Combine the chocolate chips, half-and-half and butter in a heavy saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips melt. Remove from heat.
3. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, stirring well.
4. Put icing in mixing bowl and refrigerate until cold. Then mix with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
I have been using a delicious recipe for Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting from Annie's Eats.
Here is a picture of some cupcakes I made earlier this summer with chocolate icing. I swirled chocolate and vanilla on some of them to make this really pretty effect.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts