I saw a recipe for a similar casserole at 3 Boys and a Dog. I changed some of the ingredients and preparation methods and it was delicious. There are several steps to this, but you can do some of them ahead. When we sat down to dinner my 4 year old said, "Mommy I don't think I'm going to like this." Then he said, "Yum!" I asked, "Do you like it?" and he answered, "I love it!"
Chicken, Rice and Broccoli Casserole
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins or 2 chicken breasts
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced celery
1 T. butter
2 crowns fresh broccoli
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 cups cooked rice (use broth leftover from cooking the chicken to prepare the rice)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Put chicken in a crock pot and cover with enough water that you will have a nice broth to make the rice later. Cook on low about 8 hours.
2. Saute onion and celery in butter until tender and the onion has caramelized.
3. Cut up broccoli crowns and steam until tender.
4. Shred chicken with two forks. Strain the broth and measure the amount needed to make your rice.
5. Make rice according to package directions using the leftover chicken broth in place of the water.
6. Combine chicken, onion and celery, steamed broccoli, cream of chicken soup, cooked rice and 1 cup shredded cheese. Put into a large greased casserole and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
7. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science teacher turned work at home Mom blogger. I love God, my family, and food. You can usually find me in the kitchen preparing family friendly, homemade recipes and taking lots of pictures.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies
Most Popular Posts
Crispy Salt & Pepper Beef
Low Carb Slow Cooker Venison Stew