- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork or Italian pork sausage
- 8 ounces ground veal
- (Or use 1 1/2 lb. unseasoned meatloaf mix. Many grocery stores mix ground beef, pork and veal together and package it as meatloaf mix.)
SAUCE & SPAGHETTI
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- To prepare meatballs: Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup onion, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Add meat; gently mix until combined (do not overmix). Using 1/4 cup for each, make 16 meatballs and place in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- To prepare sauce & spaghetti: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add wine and boil for 1 minute. Add crushed and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Pour the sauce over the meatballs.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Spoon any fat off the sauce. Serve the meatballs and sauce over the spaghetti with extra Parmesan, if desired.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Eating Well: Nonna's Spaghetti and Meatballs
Linking up at Share the Wealth