These homemade potato chips are so good, there are never any leftovers. They are simple to make and have become a fast favorite in our house. I use medium sized red potatoes, but you could use whatever you have on hand. I strain the peanut oil after it has cooled and refrigerate it for the next time I make chips since it is expensive. We love to drizzle blue cheese dressing on the chips and top with chopped green onion.
Blue Cheese dressing, optional
Chopped green onions, optional
1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven or deep skillet until thermometer reads 350 degrees.
2. Slice potatoes into thin rounds with a mandolin or sharp knife. I have made these with skins and without and we didn't see much difference between the two. Your preference - peel the potatoes or leave the skins on.
3. When the oil is 350 degrees, gently lower the potatoes into the hot oil. Deep fry until the potatoes are a deep golden brown. You want them to be nice and crispy, not soggy. I stir to separate them a little while frying. Also, fry in small batches.
4. When the chips are a deep golden brown, remove them to a cooling rack that is over a paper towel lined pan. This helps the excess oil drip off and keeps the chips crispy.
5. Sprinkle with salt and serve warm. These are delicious with blue cheese dressing and chopped green onions.
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Most Popular Posts
Giveaway: Enter to win a Wondercide Natural Products Pet Parent Try Everything Sample Pack!