I love my slow cooker, but I think chicken in the slow cooker can be tricky. It is easy to end up with dry meat and who wants to eat dry chicken? This chicken is moist and full of juicy flavor. When you remove the chicken from the slow cooker to serve it, pour some of the flavorful juices left in the crock pot over the chicken and let it soak in the flavor while it rests a few minutes.
After preparing the chicken, slice garlic cloves and place them under the skin and in the cavity of the bird.
Make a dry herb rub and rub on the chicken, under the skin and place some in the cavity. Use your favorite seasonings or my recipe. This is a fun way to use any fancy salts you may have. I like this salt that was a gift from relatives after a trip to Hawaii.
Easy and Delicious Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. marjoram
¼ to ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper (I don’t measure, I just grind it into the bowl.)
½ tsp. Cajun or creole seasoning
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 to 2 onions
8 to 10 garlic cloves
1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs.)
1. Cut onion into large chunks to cover the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Next add the chicken on top of the onions. (Don’t forget to remove the giblets first.)
3. Peel the garlic cloves and slice them once or twice lengthwise. Then put cloves under the skin and in the chicken cavity.
4. Mix the herb rub ingredients together then rub all over the chicken, putting some inside the chicken and under the skin. Do not add any liquid to the slow cooker, the meat will cook in it’s own juices.
5. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until the meat starts to fall off the bones.
Linking up at Do Tell Tuesday
Welcome to Home Ec @ Home
Hi, I'm Faith, a former Family and Consumer Science (Home Economics) Teacher turned work at home Mom, bringing you family friendly, homemade recipes and homemaking tips to simplify your life. Join me on my homemaking and mothering journey.
Click to set custom HTML
Most Popular Posts