This was one of my students' favorite labs in my Family and Consumer Science classroom. I always taught a thickening unit and included this recipe. It was so rewarding for my students to make and eat their own homemade pies.
4 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa (4 Tbsp)
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. butter
1 baked pie shell
1. Sift together the dry ingredients into a saucepan.
2. Add milk and egg yolks and mix well.
3. Cook, stirring frequently over medium heat until this mixture becomes thick (like a pudding - this takes a few minutes.)
4. Remove from heat; add vanilla and butter.
5. Cool. Pour into baked pie shell.
Serve warm or chilled. Refrigerate any leftovers.
This pie is delicious with a meringue or fresh whipped cream.